[LINK] Clarke unleashes blast on privacy

James Collins nospam at ggcs.net.au
Tue Nov 17 13:36:40 AEDT 2009

> It's great to see someone actually 'walking the walk', James!

Thank you Roger! It's nice to see the word "great" used in the same line as
my name :)...
Usually it's things like "You can't <expletive> do that <expletive> James".
:)

> I find it incredible that most people are so blase about being tracked.

It's all so incredibly subtle. No one notices it. Guess what one of the
protection options is on the Australian Protected Network. Yup. Advertising
site/Tracking cookies. :) Not only that, but because the public will have
access to the control and statistics of all this, they'll actually get some
sort of idea just how big the problem is.

> >have P3P as part of the web control systems in my setup. A simple
>
> P3P started out as a good idea, but was castrated during the Working

Agreed. Could have been a lot more. The APN can fix that. :)

> http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/P3POview.html (1998)
> http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/P3PCrit.html (1998)
> http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/P3PRev.html (2001)

Yes, I read them a ways back when they were published. And many times since
probably! :)
http://www.w3.org/P3P/ has a lot of resources (I realise I'm preaching to
choir here), and I used them in the creation of the language and provision
of options. Internet Explorer in and of itself doesn't prevent me visiting
websites which don't have the same settings as I have. The default actions
in Internet Explorer block cookies from websites that don't have any Compact
Privacy Policy, actually making use of P3P settings makes it meaningful.

P3P isn't the end of Privacy control on the net, but at least it makes a
starting point from which to build. 2007 saw a little movement. Emphasis on
the word little.

My system builds a Privacy Policy page generated from the Options, as well
as the Compact Privacy Policy which Internet Explorer reads. So it makes it
more human exposed. Linking the two things together.

> Golly, they've garnered 10-19 citations each, Google says.

Not surprising :)

-- James :) Collins - Head Office * +61-7-3823-5150 *
   ,-_|\    Web Management InterActive Technologies
  /      *  Sydney Office      - +61-2-8011-3237
  \_,-._/   Canberra Office    - +61-2-6100-7721
        v   Fax Number         - +61-7-3823-5152
www.wmit.net - P.O. Box 1073, Capalaba, Qld, 4157