[LINK] Clarke unleashes blast on privacy

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Nov 17 11:24:23 AEDT 2009

At 8:50 +1000 17/11/09, James Collins wrote:
>One of the things my system does is detect compromised websites. It does
>this via methods which are not duplicated by other bodies and often notifies
>people about problems they never realise they have.
>  ... 90 percent of the systems that filter Viral and other illicit
>materials on the net ALSO destroy privacy by following people around
>... even logging in using their credentials. ...

It's great to see someone actually 'walking the walk', James!

I find it incredible that most people are so blase about being tracked.

>  ... I actually
>have P3P as part of the web control systems in my setup. A simple control
>system which allows P3P to actually be used. ...

P3P started out as a good idea, but was castrated during the Working
Group phase.  Microsoft (and possibly other W3C members that made
browsers) didn't want the spec to extend to the browser.  So it ended
up as no more than a description of what a server-side policy
statement would look like.  What browsers should do with the data,
and how the user's preferences should be declared, were omitted.

http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/P3POview.html (1998)
http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/P3PCrit.html (1998)
http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/P3PRev.html (2001)

Golly, they've garnered 10-19 citations each, Google says.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916