[LINK] USA, Canada and the EU attempt to kill treaty to protect blind people's access to written material

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Nov 18 10:56:02 AEDT 2009

At 09:56 AM 18/11/2009, ARTHUR,Evan (Dr) wrote:

>Jan wrote: <<I wrote to Shorten, so I was confused why I was getting
>a letter from McClelland
>
>And the answer is because the Attorney General's Department has
>responsibility for copyright matters in the Australian Government
>and the Copyright Branch troops are the ones who attend WIPO
>meetings on this and other issues.

Oh, I get that, but the issue was about impact on PEOPLE for whom
Bill Shorten has responsibility. Wouldn't you think that his
department would have wanted to know what was being proposed that
would threaten their interests? That's why I raised it with him.

Perhaps the stove-pipes need to have a few intersections in them so
that the policy is actually geared to help people.

I don't know what is going on with ACTA, but I looked at the article
that didn't have any mention of effects re the current exemptions for
vision impaired persons or people with other reading disabilities.
Again, is this a case of stove-pipes? Will our local laws that
McClelland assures protects those interests, as they currently do, be
required to be amended to suit the concerns of the media producers?
That has been a long standing tension with regard to providing
alternative formats for vision and hearing impaired people,
particularly with non-Australian products. Kudos to the copyright
body in WIPO for considering the proposals, but was it any more than
an acknowledgement and a polite nod? It will come down to how they finally act.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/