[LINK] Will Google?s Deal with TiVo Push More Video to the Web?

sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Thu Nov 26 20:20:05 AEDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 19:55 +1100, Stilgherrian wrote:
> On 26/11/2009, at 7:27 PM, sylvano wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 13:36 +1100, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> >> The assumption in this article, seems to
> >> be that advertisers and buyers will
> >> continue to swallow the AC Nielson et al
> >> statistics and base their spend on that.
> >
> > They have no choice while the ratings points continue to be the
> > currency
> > for the selling of air time.
>
> Each sector of the media industry chooses the standard metric and
> provider they'll use to measure their audiences, so apples can be
> compared with apples and prices set. Currently for the Internet
> industry in Australia that' Nielsen NetRatings.
>
> Earlier today I ran an article based on analysis of Google Trends
> instead, and I'm being flooded with comments, tweets and emails
> pointing out that Google's methods give very different results from
> Nielsen's. Is Google "wrong" or just "different"?
>
> http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/11/26/is-social-media-killing-the-web-as-we-know-it/
> or
> http://is.gd/53Vuo

Google is certainly different. And basically out of scope for the
purposes of a currency based trading for advertising.

The main advertisers, buying agencies and online properties argue
methods, standards and prices until they land to an agreed position.
Which has come some way this year.

http://www.iia.net.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=181&Itemid=32

Sylvano