[LINK] Big corporations and who owns our privacy now.

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Oct 17 21:18:42 AEDT 2009

At 11:18 +0200 17/10/09, Kim Holburn wrote:
>The other day I was talking to an acquaintance from another country.

It would be helpful to know the country, Kim.

Even if it's, say, Andorra, it's not *directly* exposing the individual.

There's an implication that it's not the most obvious country, i.e.
the one that breeds national security extremists, and that happens to
have the most to gain from a policy like that.  And I don't go there
any more, so I don't know what the border's like these days.

Now, which nation is a really, really good friend / lapdog to the
country that has the most to gain from a policy like that?  Well, we
don't have the junior sheriff running Australia any more.  Apart from
which, your words "another country" and "his country" seems to
preclude it being Oz.

Canada?

Poland?

Israel?

Taiwan?

PRC?

(Well, we have to allow for a country that might use the excuse of
'relations with the USA' when they really mean 'chilling factor on
behaviour of our citizens').

What, me paranoid?  Just because I'm flying into Canada next weekend
carrying a laptop??  It's okay though.  It's a Mac.  So the border
guards won't know what it is anyway, let alone how which files are
software.

>He told me that if he went back to his country with a laptop, on entry
>to his country, he might have his laptop searched and have to prove
>ownership of each item of software on the laptop.
>
>I find this worrying, that corporate licensing of software is
>overriding personal privacy.  I have heard that laptop searches were
>getting nasty in the US but this seems as invasive.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916