[LINK] Banks online and the end of daylight time

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Apr 2 10:38:41 AEDT 2010

On 1/04/2010 11:08 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> I can't tell you about windows servers (which I think have an internal
> clock which uses local time ... shudder) but I have in the past had
> issues with databases.  *nix servers nearly always use GMT internally,
> so time zone changes forward or back only are referenced when the
> times are converted for viewing.  Databases though can have timestamps
> that could be local time.  Perhaps this is a matter of how they were
> programmed.  Databases generally don't like finding entries that have
> future time stamps, tends to upset them.  Turning everything off for
> the hour might be easier.  Of course turning them off for an hour
> probably means backing up, bringing everything down gently in the
> right order, then bringing everything back up again in the right
> order, could take quite a bit longer than an hour.

Most mainframe sites I've been associated with take advantage of the end
of daylight saving change.

The easiest is to just not process any transactions during the
3:00-2:00am time change. They don't bring the system down, they just
stop transactions from happening. That means they don't have any
ambiguous transactions in local time (It's easier to program in local
time than GMT or something else, similar).

Operations people often take advantage of this window, extend it a bit
and do other systems maintenance activities. Hence the 2:00am-5:00 am
window Westpac and CBA have gone for. Lots of government sites do
exactly the same.

There are of course organisations like Qantas and other airlines and
that can't do that, so they work on Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
that they get from Stratum devices.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol