[LINK] more on the filter [was: Re: Aussie tech 'Wikipedia' launched by Delimiter

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Apr 12 09:09:10 AEST 2010

At 08:15 AM 12/04/2010, Stilgherrian you wrote:

>http://delimiter.com.au/2010/04/12/delimiter-launches-aussie-tech-wikipedia/

thanks for that tip, Stil.

I also spotted some recent posts about the Internet filter from the
right column of the blog.

One of these is a link to a comment article by Simon Hackett in a
Business zine:
http://www.businessspectator.com.au//bs.nsf/Article/Conroys-wrong-on-net-filtering-pd20100408-4B8U7?OpenDocument
Looks like the battle is going wider to different constituencies.

Interesting point about 'common carriers':
The postal service is protected by being deemed a 'common carrier'.

This is precisely the protection that the ISP industry deserves. The
use of the ISP transport layer as a convenient 'soft target' in
government content policy is as lazy as it is ultimately useless.

Loved this timely comparison comment, too:
The supertanker that is the Federal Government/ALP is committed,
they're on course to ram the great barrier reef and the captain and
his first officer are more then happy to the reef out if that's what
it takes avoid admitting they were wrong.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/