[LINK] IPTv

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Wed Apr 14 07:45:52 AEST 2010

On 14/04/2010, at 6:47 AM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> There's been more than ten years, I suppose, of "the Internet will kill
> TV". Everything about TV was seen as wrong: the content was crap (mostly
> I agree), the model of the passive viewer is outdated, etc ...
>
> Now, the letters "IP" become a magic fairy dust that you sprinkle on TV
> to make it cool. As long as you're distributing Desperate Housewives or
> Cougars or whatever on the Internet, it's suddenly the Next Big Thing.
>
> I don't quite get that ...

My guess is that there's folks who reckon they can be the next batch of media magnates, running highly profitable "TV networks" via IP, replacing the highly profitably (well, once upon a time) broadcast TV networks.

What they clearly don't understand, it seems to me, is the fragmentation. Broadcast TV networks were only highly profitable because there were so few channels. Yes, Big Fat Licence Fees were paid, and big fat production costs too (with large numbers of expensive hangers-on), but those concentrated audiences brought big fat advertising revenues. Online, there's an infinite number of channels, so everything's spread more thinly.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia