[LINK] IPTv

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Apr 14 10:06:44 AEST 2010

On 2010/Apr/14, at 6:47 AM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> I can't help but ask the dog-in-the-manger question.
>
> There's been more than ten years, I suppose, of "the Internet will
> kill
> TV". Everything about TV was seen as wrong: the content was crap
> (mostly
> I agree), the model of the passive viewer is outdated, etc ...
>
> Now, the letters "IP" become a magic fairy dust that you sprinkle on
> TV
> to make it cool. As long as you're distributing Desperate Housewives
> or
> Cougars or whatever on the Internet, it's suddenly the Next Big Thing.
>
> I don't quite get that ...

In this case there is a set-top box.  I assume it's encrypted, an
encrypted stream.  Just using internet as cable.

Technically having TV over internet is simple.  The problem comes with
copyright, licensing and ultimately making money.  The same problem as
what we now call free-to-air TV faced.  And they opted for broadcast
licenses creating an artificial scarcity.  How do you create an
artificial scarcity with the internet?  Encryption.

Anyway, we already have TV over the internet.  Youtube and clones.
But it's not anything like having 5 free-to-air TV stations and you
only have to watch adds when you want to.  Personally I'm amazed
people can actually bear to watch Australian commercial TV.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant