[LINK] eBooks

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Apr 17 14:22:22 AEST 2010

Stil forwards

> .. the eBook working group .. "[N]one of the members of the panel
> appear to be doing much in the eBook sphere at all." ..

I'd bet just about everyone in that panel are feeling rather stabby.

Apparently, soon(ish), everyone with a mobile phone can make an eBook ..

--
Speedy scanner re-writes book on publishing technology

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:13am EDT www.reuters.com

TOKYO (Reuters Life!) - Simply flipping through a book may not seem like
the best to way to scan it, but a Japanese research group at Tokyo
University has created new software that allows hundreds of pages to be
scanned within minutes.

Scanning paper is normally a tedious process with each page having to be
inserted into a flat-bed scanner, but the team led by professor Masatoshi
Ishikawa use a high speed camera that takes 500 pictures a second to scan
pages as they are flipped.

Normal scanners can only scan the information that is actually before
them on the page. The new scanner being developed is able to deal with
the fact that pages that are being flipped are normally deformed in some
fashion.

"It takes a shot of the shape, then it calculates the shape and uses
those calculations to film the scanning," Ishikawa said, explaining the
system used to reconstruct the original page.

"As it can film while understanding the underlying shape, it's very easy
to then take the pages that are being scanned and save them as a normal
flat copy."

The current system is able to scan an average 200-250 page book in a
little over 60 seconds using basic computer hardware that is available
off-the-shelf.

While it now requires extra time to process the scanned images, the
researchers hope to eventually make the technology both faster and much
smaller.

"In the more the distant future, once it becomes possible to put all of
this processing on one chip and then put that in a iPad or iPod, one
could scan just using that chip. At that point, it becomes possible to
scan something quickly to save for later reading," Ishikawa told Reuters.

Being able to scan books with an iPhone may be further off, but Ishikawa
says that a commercial version of the large-scale computer based scanning
system could be available in two to three years.

While the technology has the potential to take paper books into the
digital age, it remains to be how publishers will react to people
scanning their books while just flipping through them.

(Reporting by Chris Meyers, editing by Miral Fahmy)

-

Cheers,
Stephen