[LINK] Plagiarism in the digital age

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Aug 4 11:32:35 AEST 2010

Steven Clark wrote:
> On 3/08/2010 1:11 AM, thoughtmaybe.com wrote:
>> The New York Times ponders plagiarism in the digital age
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/education/02cheat.html>, where films like Rip:A Remix Manifesto<http://thoughtmaybe.com/video/rip-a-remix-manifesto>  question traditional notions of copyright and fair use:
<snip>
>> Professors used to deal with plagiarism by admonishing students to give
>> credit to others and to follow the style guide for citations, and pretty
>> much left it at that.
>>

> sure, but students used to have some idea that they were *supposed* to
> that - even if they were fuzzy about *how*. they were used to *reading*
> and to looking through source materials (research) - not merely hitting
> google up and patching together fragments from websites (search and deploy).

<snip>

Google is a double edged sword. It can reveal plagiarism and
lack of attribution. Human beings learn most by example.

Examples of use of my work with and without attribution.
<http://ramin.com.au/itgovernance/as8015-on-googlebooks.shtml>

My own referencing early in the history of the WWW was
described as interesting, from recollection, by the Marker.
<http://ramin.com.au/marg/slec.html>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz