[LINK] Another GPS/human error story

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat Aug 7 09:15:13 AEST 2010

Since it's the weekend,

Pilgrims in search of a miracle - and an 's'

Lizzy Davies, Paris
August 7, 2010 - 3:00AM

PUTTING your faith in GPS, it appears, is not as
reliable as putting your faith in the Lord.

An increasing number of Catholic pilgrims are
learning this lesson first hand as they show up
in the unremarkable French village of Lourde - no
's' - and wait in vain for a miracle that never comes.

Nestled in the Pyrenean border country south of
Toulouse, the hamlet of 94 people has little in
common with Lourdes, the famous holy site about
90 kilometres to the west. It has no hotels or
shops and certainly no history of Marian apparitions.

So when they turn up in their cars, having
misspelt the name of their destination on their
navigational system, the new arrivals are
understandably confused. ''They are all surprised
to see that Lourde[s] is so small; they ask you
about the underground caves,'' a village councillor told French radio.

Since the mid-19th century, when the unassuming
market town of Lourdes became a pilgrimage point
for Catholics all over the world, residents of
the lesser known Lourde have been pointing
outsiders to the right road. But since the
development of GPS, the strays have become far more numerous.

''For two years now
 more and more people are
getting it wrong. We have Spaniards, Dutch,
Belgians and, of course, French. It's proof that
they can't use technology,'' said one local.

Occasionally, it takes the errant pilgrims a
while to notice they have taken a wrong turn, say
the residents. Some of them even confuse the
village's modest statue of the Virgin Mary with
the Statue of Our Lady at the Grotto of
Massabielle, and lay their wreaths with great seriousness.

The village is resisting calls to modify its
name. One resident told RTL radio: ''Even without
an 's', we are still a nice village.''

GUARDIAN

This story was found at:
http://www.theage.com.au/world/pilgrims-in-search-of-a-miracle--and-an-s-20100806-11ohq.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer