[LINK] The amazing world of the Senate

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Aug 23 10:53:01 AEST 2010

  <brd>
I was going to write "A little bit of sanity in the senate" but now I'm
not so sure.

http://www.news.com.au/features/federal-election/greens-to-be-senate-go-to-party-to-the-power-of-nine/story-e6frfllr-1225908694201

Family First senator Steve Fielding seems certain to have lost his place.

But the Victorian may be replaced by a philosophically like-minded
newcomer in John Madigan from the socially and economically conservative
Democratic Labor Party.

Mr Madigan, a blacksmith from Ballarat in Victoria, is tipped to take
the final Senate seat even though he received only 2.2 per cent of the
vote. The Greens will now hold the balance of power in the Senate, with
new senators expected to be elected in Victoria, South Australia, NSW
and Queensland.

--

Regards
brd