[LINK] RFI: The Process of Domain Redelegation

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Aug 23 11:53:47 AEST 2010

On 23/08/2010, at 11:23 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
>  It's also a good idea to have your domain
> and your webhosting handled by different entities.

But to that I would add, "However, unless you are a competent systems administrator yourself, make sure there is someone who does have a full picture of your internet deployment so that everything can be managed properly. And don't leave arranging that until you have an urgent issue."

Far too often I've had to deal with clients who had their internet presence scattered between half a dozen providers, jumbled together in ways that made it difficult to manage. The advantage of having one provider do everything is that their procedures will be geared to that and may well work more efficiently. The disadvantages include the provider having only one way of doing things, making it difficult if you want to do something a bit different.

Quite often I've found that people are pursuing the false economy of saving a few dollars here in domain name registration, a few dollars there on cheap hosting, or wanting to tinker themselves -- but failing to take into account the time they or their web developer will spend having to deal with multiple players down the track.

Obvious lack of impartiality here: I earn some of my keep doing just this sort of management of internet bits and pieces.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia