[LINK] tRe: NBN white-elephant-to-be ...

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Aug 26 10:17:01 AEST 2010

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
<snip>
>> Your correspondent sounds like a fibre optic junkie.
>>
> That's different from being a wireless junkie how, exactly?

A wireless gourmand isn't locked into a specific wireless
technology.

<snip>
> So: let's assume that whether we're in the city or the country, we can
> serve almost adequate bandwidth to ten users in one cell; that the total
> capex of a base station (with three cells) is about $90,000. We get
> 90/30 or $3,000 capex per household. It's not so much cheaper than
> pulling fibre.

<snip>

The point is that any 10 residents/businesses/individuals
can sign up to the service, and access it whereever they are.
This isn't the case with location specific cables.

Also,  deployment is faster where demand due to the success of
the technology warrants further investment.

Something else linkers might like to mull over is the
emergence of VP8 and WebM project...links here:
<http://ramin.com.au/linux/slug-30july2010-video-codecs-in-html5.shtml>

PS Using the term broadband to be synonymous with optic
fibre erks me as much as when pay tv was seen to be
synonymous with cable, and now free to air with wireless
(broadcast). By the way, has everyone come to terms with the
convergence of digital audio (previously referred to as
radio) and video (previously referred to as tv) through
their digital multimedia devices/tuners?
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au