[LINK] net neutrality case study in US

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Dec 1 08:32:40 AEDT 2010

[If you've wondered why net neutrality is an issue to keep an eye on,
check out this story.]

Level 3 alleges Comcast is violating principles of open Net

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_16738542
By Andy Vuong
The Denver Post

Level 3 Communications alleged Monday that Comcast is violating the
principles of an open Internet by demanding, for the first time, a
recurring fee from Level 3 to transmit online movies and other
content over Comcast's network into consumers' homes.

The spat comes as regulators are considering "net neutrality" rules
that would prevent Internet providers such as Comcast from
discriminating against content that travels over their networks.

"Comcast is effectively putting up a toll booth at the borders of its
broadband Internet access network, enabling it to unilaterally decide
how much to charge for content which competes with its own cable-TV
and Xfinity delivered content," Level 3 chief legal officer Thomas
Stortz said in a prepared statement.
[snip]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com