[LINK] Opera falls down on privacy

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Dec 2 09:19:17 AEDT 2010

Irene mentioned using Opera. I got nagged enough into downloading the
new version. I was disappointed to find that their "you beaut" new
technology platform euphamistically named Opera Unite is partially on
by default. It's a file sharing program! It's first setting is to
'discover' 'local' Opera Unite users. Couple problems in there. One
is this default discover position. Two is some level of locality
enabled. I haven't looked close enough to see where that setting is,
but I soon will. Found it. It's in Preferences. You can set by site
or you can turn it off. They hide it. Advanced/Network/Enable
Geolocation is on by default.

There is also a storage setting that had persistent storage that I
deleted and turned off 'use application cache'.

Javascript, cookies and 'send referrer information' are set to one
upon install.

They are also offering an online server for remote synchronisation
and data access called Opere Link, inbuilt email, a notes area and news reader.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/