[LINK] Opera falls down on privacy

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Thu Dec 2 11:31:59 AEDT 2010

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:19:17 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> Irene mentioned using Opera. I got nagged enough into downloading the
> new version.

Hope you didn't feel I was nagging, certainly not my intent.

>I was disappointed to find that their "you beaut" new
> technology platform euphamistically named Opera Unite is partially on
> by default. It's a file sharing program!
[...]

Hmmm, thanks for that info and I agree with you that the default settings
you've mentioned (and making them hard to find) is not satisfactory -
putting it mildly.

I didn't know about that - makes me realise I haven't updated my Opera
installation for a while - I'm using the version apparently immediately
prior to them having added 'Unite'.

Also, I probably should add that I don't think Opera's 'perfect' and nor is
it necessarily suitable for people who want to just load something 'out of
the box' and expect all the privacy and security configuration options to
be set how they'd prefer. What I like about Opera is that it *is* highly
customisable for people willing to spend time learning what can be done and
how to do it. My installation has been intermittently customised at various
times over the last probably decade, so it probably bears minimal
resemblance to the now current default new install (and I probably should
remember that on the fairly rare occasions I say anything about it).

Irene