[LINK] wikileaks back

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Dec 4 10:55:57 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Dec/04, at 10:17 AM, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
>
>> The takedown of the Wikileaks.org (the original domain?) is a worry.
>> No due process was used. Just unilateral action on the part of a
>> very worried/paranoid government.
>>

> Hold on a moment - time for some facts...
>
> This has NOTHING to do with government.  The domain is still registered
> available.  What's missing is the nameservers.  You can find out why by
> going to the website of their DNS host http://www.everydns.com/ and looking
> under the "EveryDNS.net Status" heading (you'll need to click on "See more")
>
> Amazon and EveryDNS both appear to have taken them offline due to breaches
> in contract/terms. In the case of EveryDNS it was in breach of terms for a
> FREE service.
>
> No government to be seen.

Here's a quote from everydns on wikipedia:

> Backup services
>
> Because of the danger of a distributed-denial-of-service attack on a domain name server, many companies outsource their domain name service management to companies such as Akamai. EveryDNS allows webmasters to use their servers for geographically distributed DNS service for free. On December 2, 2010, EveryDNS dropped WikiLeaks from its entries, citing DDoS attacks that "threatened the stability of its infrastructure".[3]

Everydns was supposed to be for these kinds of eventualities.  I don't think everydns dropping wikileaks had anything to do with breach of terms.  As for the DDoS, are you saying for sure that it wasn't the US government?

As for Amazon, it certainly was interesting.  They haven't said exactly what it was that wikileaks had done.  They hosted the collateral murder leaks on their cloud without issues.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1707262/why-lieberman-had-nothing-to-do-with-amazon-dropping-wikileaks

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant