[LINK] CIA honeypot WikiLeaks mirror - retracted

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Dec 12 11:04:23 AEDT 2010

Linkers,

I certainly jumped on the bandwagon with this one, sans any further
research. I guess I fail journalism 101 :(

The viral nature of this probably unintentional misinformation means
that it will take a while before the truth about this allegation becomes
widepsread.

And it has probably given the CIA and parties interested in monitoring
the leaks a great idea or two.

. . .

Rick Welykochy wrote:

> The CIA has been identified as being responsible for one of
> the WikiLeaks mirrors,
>
> http://wikileaks.psytek.net/
>
> presumabley so they can monitor who is downloading the leaks.

The analysis:

<http://breakingthecalm.blogspot.com/2010/12/musing-on-misinformation-morons.html>

   Musing on Misinformation & Morons

   The net is abuzz with a rumor claiming that the CIA is behind a Wikileaks
   mirror that was hosted at http://wikileaks.psytek.net.  This rumor lacked
   any real evidence, yet was reported by many in the hacker/hacktivist
   community as fact.

   I don't believe that this was an intentional or malicious misinformation
   campaign. But I do believe that the poor judgment of Len Sassaman, Jacob
   Appelbaum, and the boingboing editorial team is responsible for this
   perversion of truth.

   I know that some Wikileaks supporters may think that even if untrue, this
   misinformation is positive, as it makes the CIA look bad. I would argue that
   Wikileaks is a platform based on truth, not deception. Lets leave the lying
   to the government and focus on the real facts that are being disclosed in
   the cables.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
      -- Thomas Jefferson