[LINK] Home VoIP?

Crispin Harris crispin.harris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 14:31:53 AEDT 2010

Hi Stephen,
  This VoIP includes the group that are currently on Naked-DSL plans.

In these instances, the home-DSLrouter is also an ATA (Analog Telephony
Adapter) and has 1 or 2 analog voice ports.
The ATA the connects to the ISP's VoIP server (for instance the free
Asterisk, Cisco's Call Manager, or other).

The call quality on these is comparable to (or better than) modern Mobile
call quality, and compression has lept forwards with several major advances.

A near-analog-quality call can be carried in approximately 12Kbps, and a
"lossy call" (better than pre-2000 satellite calls) in less than 6Kbps.

I have a Naked-DSL connection at home, and find it at least as good as the
Analog connection I gave up for it.
Reliability *is* slightly lower (2 carrier-side outages in 12 months, for a
total of 3 hours) but on the other hand, the call price is substantially
reduced.

Cheers,
   Crispin

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM, <stephen at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> Tony forwards ..
>
> > During 2009–10 .. fixed-line telephone services .. 10.67 million
> > to 10.59 million (whilst) VoIP services 2.5 million to 2.9 million
>

> Hmm .. 2.9 milliom home VoIP services. Didn't realize VoIP was becoming
> so popular and widely-used in Australia. The last time i looked at VoIP
> (Skype) in 2004 it was slow, bandwidth hungry & with poor voice quality.
>
> But i guess 2.9 million Aussies can't be wrong.
>
> Any advice from Linkers regards home VoIP now? Eg, tips, traps etc etc?
>

> Cheers,
> Stephen

Crispin Harris
crispin.harris at gmail.com
"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of
Brittany Spears.
If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good
without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove
completely."
 - David Boston

Marriage (n): a natural institution whereby a man and a woman give
themselves to each other for life in an exclusive sexual relationship that
is open to procreation.
 -Definition compliements of Cardinal George Pell, Catholic Archdioces of
Syndey