[LINK] Home VoIP?

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Mon Dec 20 18:02:31 AEDT 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:28:39 +1100, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net
wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM, <stephen at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
>>
>>> But i guess 2.9 million Aussies can't be wrong.
>>>
>>> Any advice from Linkers regards home VoIP now? Eg, tips, traps
>>> etc etc?
>
> Take a look at the Whirlpool VoIP forum to get up to speed. The
> easiest way to stick a toe in the water is with MyNetfone's Whirlpool
> special.
> They will sell you a box that plugs into your LAN on one side with a
> standard PSTN port on the other for about $30.

And be aware that any VOIP service provider that sells VOIP-capable
hardware devices for ~$30 most probably has them locked to their network
(i.e. if one subsequently wants to change to another VOIP provider, it
may/would be necessary to buy and install another device). Nevertheless,
such a method is a reasonably cheap method of testing for some people.

FWIW, for reasonably technically competent users, a way of testing likely
'typical' VOIP call quality via 'your' Net access service - without
spending any money - if you (and a friend) already have e.g. a headset with
microphone - is to install free software such as SJ Phone, which enables
persons to make IP address to IP address 'telephone' calls (via SIP - aka
VOIP). If the call quality is fairly acceptable on such direct IP calls,
then it may be even better via some VOIP service providers (e.g. whose
service enables connection of calls to/from the PSTN - as distinct from the
above IP to IP method - because some VOIP providers, AFAIK probably only
some ISPs, prioritise VOIP traffic of their VOIP customers on their own
network).

NB: One doesn't hear much about the ability to make free SIP/VOIP calls
using free software, because doing that requires the caller to know the IP
address of the party they want want to call, or the domain name, or the SIP
address mapped to the IP address via some service such as e.g. IPTel's free
SIP service: http://www.iptel.org/service. (IPTel looks like it's still
operative, but it's about 3 years since I used it in the course of testing
SIP/VOIP line/call quality, before subscribing to a VOIP serice provider
that provides PSTN connectivity (Internode)).

Irene