[LINK] iinet wins!!

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Feb 5 10:57:19 AEDT 2010

On 05/02/2010, at 10:37 AM, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> Something's been puzzling me about this - forgive my ignorance. I
> understand that the claimants say they provided iinet with evidence as
> to who'd been downloading what from where. Where and how did they get
> that information? Had they been sniffing the network? Had they hacked
> into users' computers? Is it legal for them to do that?

Brief answer, investigators became iiNet customers, used a special BitTorrent client to join swarms, and restricted all piece-downloads to IP addresses known to be allocated to iiNet. Their client logged the times and IP addresses and hashes of the pieces and of the whole files, which could then be compared to the known hashes of the films.

The process is explained in good, comprehensible technical detail in the judgement.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCA/2010/24.html

I do encourage people to check the judgement. Justice Cowdroy was careful to included detailed explanations. Plus there's some wonderful nuggets of wit.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia