[LINK] iinet wins!!

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Feb 5 11:04:44 AEDT 2010

Pilcher, Fred wrote:

> Something's been puzzling me about this - forgive my ignorance. I
> understand that the claimants say they provided iinet with evidence as
> to who'd been downloading what from where. Where and how did they get
> that information? Had they been sniffing the network? Had they hacked
> into users' computers? Is it legal for them to do that?

If you delve into the 200 or so pages here:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCA/2010/24.html

it is all explained in gory detail. Basically, a special Bit Torrent
client written by DtecNet was used to monitor file segments shared
in the swarm by iiNet users only, [110-113] in the document.

[326] onwards deals with the issue of whether the investigators
had licence to download copyright materials. No computer hacking
was required.

The findings are well worth a read. Many points in law regarding
copyright infringement, authorisation to infringe, etc. are
covered in detail.

cheers
rick