[LINK] Inaccessible web sites

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Feb 17 10:44:46 AEDT 2010

Ivan Trundle wrote:
<snip>
> I use the Telstra mobile phone billing page as a perfect example: I refuse to accept online billing and metering system until their website can deliver the same level of clarity as their paper product or the iPhone app that a third party has developed. It no longer matters to me that they can't make a site that I can comfortably use, even though I am literate, able, sighted and a veteran internet user.

Curious as other mobile operators have been at the forefront
of electronic billing.

Just thinking about the implications of this for the wider
group of Telstra customers: I have been forced to use the
Telstra site to view details of calls from my home phone
line, which without notice, that I read, Telstra decided to
drop from my paper bill. This on top of the fees to pay the
Telstra bill, it would seem that Telstra has cottoned onto
the Banks model for "service" charges.

> Another example is the 40 million iPhone/iPod touch users who cannot view Flash at all: either the site designer makes a site that detects their browser and delivers, or the site is shunned. Adobe tried to demonstrate to the public that 85% of the top 100 sites required Flash, yet failed to mention that almost all of them all offer non-Flash alternatives (which demonstrates that site designers will shift to where the market is, not that people will shift to what sites offer).

<snip>

Ahh but flash is OK, for us Linux users. Though after
installing the flash plug in I have now installed the
Firefox plugin to block flash.

I advocate the use of Ogg/Theora - available across all
platforms.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz