[LINK] Jailbreaking (was: Inaccessible web sites)

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Feb 17 21:51:10 AEDT 2010

I suspected that this would migrate to hair splitting, but nonetheless, it's a very fine hair.

If the interpretations made on Link are any guide, I'd be surprised if any software development involving profit had any future whatsoever! I look forward with interest to the day that replicators can reproduce anything that is ever imagined and invented, so that I can eat and live without such stupid encumbrances as the desire to make enough money to live. It'll make the world a better place. Gene Roddenberry was on the right track when he created Star Trek and imagined the 24th Century (Plato's Republic, anyone?).

And I'm not saying that this is bad or good: I'm not religious about it either.

But I still maintain my position. Copyright is an ass, but there are times when it protects the things that people create, for better or for worse. Ideas can be stolen as much as chattels. (Kisses can be stolen too - English is wonderful). But of course the legal profession loves to tie itself in knots over such things, and they are not useful arbiters of the English language.

It's simply disagreeable for someone who creates something unique (at their own cost) in order to make a living to have that something reproduced by others with no profit (in whatever guise that might be) to the creator.

I'm unlikely to convince anyone on Link, but it's simply my view. It might also be inconsistent with anyone else, but I'm not unduly worried or even particularly passionate about it. I also respect other people's views on the matter.

There are far more important things in life to worry about.

iT
--
Ivan Trundle
http://itrundle.com ivan at itrundle.com
ph: +61 (0)418 244 259 fx: +61 (0)2 6286 8742 skype: callto://ivanovitchk