[LINK] Use Open Source - You're a Pirate

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Feb 25 15:20:51 AEDT 2010

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 11:19 AM 25/02/2010, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>> For my part, I gave a publisher rights to my work
>> thinking I still had attribution rights, only to find,
>> thanks to Google Books, my work has been reused with out
>> attribution by other authors of the publisher:
>> <http://ramin.com.au/itgovernance/as8015-on-googlebooks.shtml>
>
> Do all countries have moral rights clauses like we do? That would be
> the governance for attribution if you signed over your other copyright rights.

<snip>
Jan,

There are many angles from which to analyse this case and
contemplate how to enforce rights. Most usefully, it
illustrates the nub of the fear closed source advocates have
of open  source - is that their breaches of copyright will be
exposed. I found the "insertions" in the Google Books
settlement interesting.

It is also worth noting that it used to be a requirement of
government tenders (and maybe still is) that you provided
a copy of the source.This was seen as a way to "futureproof"
against a failure/disappearance of a supplier - I don't
think any government suppliers complied.

Incidentally, my Chapter was about the application of
AS8015-2005, The Australian Standard for Corporate
Governance of ICT. The original book containing the
chapter was published in 2006, AS8105 was adopted
as ISO-38500 in 2008. The publicity for AS8015
wouldn't have hurt.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz