[LINK] Rupert Murdoch vs. the Internet

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Jan 11 08:52:43 AEDT 2010

On 11/01/2010, at 8:37 AM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 10/01/2010, at 10:53 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>>> The News Corp. founder and CEO, and other publishers, have trained
>>> their guns on search engines and news aggregator sites like Google
>>> and Digg.com, calling them "content kleptomaniacs" and accusing them
>>> of stealing content to line their own pockets.
>
> I think that the reporter (or News Corp) misunderstands Digg.com - it offers links to websites, so I would have thought it to be GOOD for Rupert.

This has been a consistent problem with Mr Murdoch's rhetoric about content aggregation. It's hard to tell whether it's a deliberate misdirection as part of a bigger plan, or simply that the old guy hasn't actually ever used the Internet himself unaided.

I have previously written:

"Dear Rupert, this is how the internet works. Google it."
http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/11/10/dear-rupert-this-is-how-the-internet-works-google-it/

"Baffled by Murdersoft? Making sense of Murdoch and Microsoft"
http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/11/25/baffled-by-murdersoft-making-sense-of-murdoch-and-microsoft/

The second piece links to analysis by mUmBRELLA proprietor Tim Burrows which suggests that random inbound clocks from Google News etc aren't actually of that much long-term value.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/rupert-murdoch-not-bluffing-in-threat-to-pull-plug-on-google-search/story-e6frg996-1225797966446

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia