[LINK] Australian Government Cyber Security Strategy

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Fri Jan 15 14:05:02 AEDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, sylvano wrote:

> I see that the Cyber Security Operations Centre is now officially
> launched, according to the Labor party's newsletter item, below.
>
> So, can we expect some effective cleaning up of the internetosphere this
> year now that we join the US and the UK in this effort to have a Cyber
> Security ops body?  Do people really still say Cyber?

But it is just such a cool word.    But every time I hear it, I either
think of Dr Who, or Lost in Space......

A word I do not hear used as much anymore is "cypher" (cyber made me think
of it).   These days it has been replaced by "encryption", "public key"
and the like.  Cypher must be reserved for steampunk types developing
applications on the babbage engine these days.

rachel

  ---o---

Media Statement - 15th January 2010
John Faulkner - Minister for Defence, Vice President of the Executive
Council
John Faulkner
The Minister for Defence, Senator John Faulkner, today officially opened
Defence's new Cyber Security Operations Centre in Canberra.

"The establishment of the Cyber Security Operations Centre within the
Defence Signals Directorate (DSD) is a major step in meeting the
Government's 2009 Defence White Paper commitment to provide
comprehensive understanding of the cyber threat," Senator Faulkner said.

"Cyber security is one of the Government's top national security
priorities and the Cyber Security Operations Centre is a key part of a
national cyber security initiative set by Government. Cyber attacks on
Government and critical infrastructure constitute a real threat to
Australia's national interest."

Two other cyber security measures were announced in the 2009-10 Budget -
the creation of the new national computer emergency response team, CERT
Australia and a study for the reduction in the number of Australian
Government internet gateways.

The Cyber Security Operations Centre will develop capabilities to gain
an edge in the cyber space domain and provide critical understanding of
the cyber threat from sophisticated cyber attack.

Senator Faulkner said: "The Cyber Security Operations Centre is well
placed in the Defence Signals Directorate. It fits naturally with the
DSD's important role as the Commonwealth national authority on
information security, providing government with protective security
advice and assistance."

The Cyber Security Operations Centre will have at its disposal the DSD's
high powered computing resources and advanced analytic techniques.

"The Cyber Security Operations Centre will employ around 130
highly-skilled information technology experts, engineers and analysts
drawn from the DSD. There will also be representatives from the Defence
Intelligence Organisation and the ADF and scientists from the Defence
Science and Technology Organisation as well as representation from the
Attorney-General's Department, ASIO and the AFP," Senator Faulkner said.

  ---o---

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 10:08 +1100, Tom Worthington wrote:
> The Federal Attorney-General, Robert McClelland has released an
> Australian Government Cyber Security Strategy:
> <http://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/www/ministers/mcclelland.nsf/Page/MediaReleases_2009_FourthQuarter_23November2009-AustralianCyberSecurityStrategyLaunched%27>.
>
> This is a high risk strategy as it proposes transferring the functions
> of the successful and experienced non-government AusCert to an
> inexperienced government body. A better strategy would be to resource
> AusCert so it can provide services to non-government bodies and work
> with DSD to look after government and military computer security.
>
> The Australian Government Cyber Security Strategy has three objectives:
>
>     1. Make Australians aware of cyber risks,
>     2. Make businesses operate secure and resilient information and
> communications technologies,
>     3. Secure Australian Government information and make communications
> technologies resilient.
>
> The seven Strategic priorities are:
>
>     1. Improve the detection, analysis, mitigation and response to
> sophisticated cyber threats,
>     2. Provide Australians with information and tools to protect
> themselves online,
>     3. Partner with business to promote security and resilience,
>     4. Protection of government ICT systems,
>     5. Promote a secure, resilient and trusted global electronic
> operating environment,
>     6. Maintain an effective legal framework and enforcement against
> cyber crime,
>     7. Promote research and development of cyber security a skills.
>
> By early 2010 the Australian Government expects to have:
>
>     1. CERT Australia: with Attorney-General’s Department taking over
> AusCert's responsibilities. This will incorporate the Australian
> Government Computer Emergency Readiness Team,
>     2. Cyber Security Operations Centre (CSOC): The Defence Signals
> Directorate (DSD) will continue to provide civilian and military
> government agencies with cyber security assistance.
>
> More at:
> <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/11/australian-government-cyber-security.html>.

Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html
    "The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum." - Finagle's Law