[LINK] Aus Govt issues IE security warning

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Tue Jan 19 22:14:27 AEDT 2010

On 19/01/2010, at 9:57 PM, Martin Barry wrote:
> If it gets people to switch away from IE or push the Windows Update button,
> is mass media attention on "just another run-of-the-mill exploit" really
> such a bad thing?

This very point was made by various people on Twitter in a lively conversation at lunchtime. And it's a good one. Too often IT stories by IT journalists in the IT media are written... well... by geeks for geeks. It doesn't hurt getting the story out there more widely.

I'm a big conflicted in this one 'cos I was commissioned to write a story and my gut feeling was that it wasn't such a big deal technically, and was only news 'cos of the big-name brands which had been targeted. But Crikey's editor ran it as story 2 for the day, though admittedly we're sill in the January silly season.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what to think on this one.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia