[LINK] more on interface design

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jan 24 08:24:43 AEDT 2010

At 07:53 AM 24/01/2010, Ivan Trundle you wrote:
>It is pointing to (pardon the pun) a different understanding of how
>a GUI works, using totally different controls. The upcoming Apple
>tablet extends this further (apparently) in ways which involve a
>different set of skills not required in any other GUI.

I think there are many other interfaces, like sound for instance, not
to mention the extreme ones like brain embedded chips for
motion-disabled people. Keep in mind, the term GUI came in as a
comparison with command line: text and symbols requiring a keyboard
to 'drive' the software. However, there were touch screens and
rudimentary graphics in the Plato system, mostly used for educational
applications. So touch has been around awhile, at least since the
1970s. The other interface that went through a lull is haptic, but it
seems to be making a comeback, too.

Seems to me we're moving into a new complex set of interfaces, and
part of that is due to Wii, iPhone, and these new types of screens,
be it 3mil LCDs or flexible e-paper or whatever the latest 3D types.
This extension of options goes way beyond GUI, and may be where this
'natural' UI is coming from. That TED program of the guy with the
camera, projector, and 3D control with hands in space shows how
things are changing and will probably change even more in exciting ways.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/