[LINK] music 'stealing' fine reduced from $2mil

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Jan 24 10:15:42 AEDT 2010

Judge Cuts $2 Million Penalty In Woman's Illegal
Song-Sharing Case With RIAA (24 January 2010)
  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/22/judge-cuts-2-million-pena_n_433903.html
  http://snipurl.com/u667o

MINNEAPOLIS — A federal judge on Friday
drastically reduced a nearly $2 million verdict
against a Minnesota woman found guilty last year
of sharing 24 songs over the Internet, calling
the jury's penalty "monstrous and shocking."

U.S. District Judge Michael Davis reduced the
$1.92 million penalty a jury imposed against
Jammie Thomas-Rasset of Brainerd to $2,250 per song, or about $54,000.

"The need for deterrence cannot justify a $2
million verdict for stealing and illegally
distributing 24 songs for the sole purpose of
obtaining free music," Davis wrote.

Davis also denied Thomas-Rasset's request for a
new trial. He gave the Recording Industry
Association of America seven days to either
accept the smaller penalty or to ask for another trial to set new damages.
[snip]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer