[LINK] From the Acropolis to the E-City

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jul 9 11:32:39 AEST 2010

Webb, KerryA wrote:
> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
<snip>
>> <http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bydesign/stories/2010/2928095.htm>
>>

> You need to listen to the program (or read the transcript) to see some
> of the flaws in the grand plan.  The most obvious one is that they
> intend satisfying all educational needs within the city of Springfield,
> which is just not going to happen.
>
> And Springfield's website is pretty bad too.
<snip>
Pretty bad is being kind indeed! I did catch a bit
of the broadcast program,  and saw the clip on
SBS news last night.

To be fair, the  NBN advertisements do seem to
claim they can achieve all kinds of miracles from
bring  farmers into markets (carefully avoiding any
mobile phones and fishermen) , bringing better
education,  better health...all sounds a bit too
familiar to me.

I noticed, from the reference to Ganghalin,  that
appears the NBN will be buying that fibre optic cable
infrastructure from Telstra. I am surprised there was no
reference to centenial park.
<http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/education-centre/interactive/convergence/>

Multifunction polis anyone?
> The Multifunction Polis (MFP) was a controversial concept, first proposed in 1987, to build a new technology city with a population of 100,000 in Australia.
>
> The MFP was to include futuristic villages containing housing, education, employment and recreation. [1] A modern communication syste
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifunction_Polis>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz