[LINK] Fanatacism [WAS: iPads]

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 1 20:20:46 AEST 2010

Ivan Trundle wrote:
> I'll bite, David... it's a slow afternoon...
>
> On 01/06/2010, at 3:23 PM, David Boxall wrote:
>

>> The others don't have Apple's years of marketing and fanatic fan base.
>>

> I tend to sense a mix of envy, derogation and snideness when anyone mentions 'fanatical fan base', as though there is something implicitly wrong in having devotees - as though making products and tools that people like and want to use is evil.

I tend to think that devotion goes too far when people start queuing
overnight for toys - and it makes the news.

I find it odd that anybody feels compelled to become a free spokesperson
for *any* company - be it Apple, Microsoft, or (for that matter) Holden
or Ford. It's a mindset that I've never quite understood.

RC