[LINK] Award based on ACS membership eligibility

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jun 4 12:49:13 AEST 2010

Roger Clarke wrote:
>> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>>>  I wonder what Engineers Australia think of "...ACS membership is the
>>>  clear standard..."?
>
> [Or indeed IEEE]

Well unless IEEE has an Australian Chapter - not a lot.

> At 9:29 +1000 4/6/10, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> The recognition of the need for an IT Professional Structure
>> is a good thing. The challenge is assessing/quantifying the
>> qualifications and skill levels for particular jobs - I suspect
>> there are some which will require Engineering Qualifications
>> and others not. The ACS is a broader church.
>
> Yes, I think that's the nub of it.
>
> In the best of all possible worlds, legislation or awards would
> contain a framework, and a body such as the PSC would schedule (and
> maintain!) the relevant qualification standards for particular
> categories of job description.
>
> </nirvana.  We don't live in a such a rational world>

The PSC did once run its own training program. Not sure whether
IT usage in the Service was better or worse. One of the
problems,
in my view, is that 'techies' are too low in the food chain.
This may
be through the techies shortcomings or institutional attitudes.

My recent thoughts on the barriers to better governance of
ICT are here:
<http://ramin.com.au/itgovernance/interview-with-grc-me-may2010.shtml>

Marghanita
--