[LINK] Award based on ACS membership eligibility

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Jun 4 09:58:57 AEST 2010

>Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>>  I wonder what Engineers Australia think of "...ACS membership is the
>>  clear standard..."?

[Or indeed IEEE]

At 9:29 +1000 4/6/10, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>The recognition of the need for an IT Professional Structure
>is a good thing. The challenge is assessing/quantifying the
>qualifications and skill levels for particular jobs - I suspect
>there are some which will require Engineering Qualifications
>and others not. The ACS is a broader church.

Yes, I think that's the nub of it.

In the best of all possible worlds, legislation or awards would
contain a framework, and a body such as the PSC would schedule (and
maintain!) the relevant qualification standards for particular
categories of job description.

</nirvana.  We don't live in a such a rational world>

>Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>>  Disclaimer. I'm a member of both ACS and Engineers Australia.

At 9:29 +1000 4/6/10, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>The spat between the Chartered accountants and CPA would be fun to watch.

[Even more tricky disclaimers:
(1)  I'm in the ANU Faculty of Eng, and its degrees are
dual-accredited with ACS and appropriate Eng professional associations
(2)  I wrote accreditation guidelines for the IT segments of what is
now CPA - although it was so long ago that they had another name then
(:-(}

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916