[LINK] Your Medicare records online

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Mar 3 14:47:08 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Mar/03, at 1:32 PM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 03/03/2010, at 1:21 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with people looking after their own records?
>
> Would be fine if we carried them with us at all times (maybe on the
> smart card stapled to our body, or perhaps an under-skin implant -
> though you wouldn't want to enter a hospital without the body part
> that contained the chip or card).
>
> I'd prefer to see medical information in a place where it can be
> accessed by those who need to see it, with my direct or implied
> consent.
>
> If I get wheeled into a medical facility in some outpost in an
> uncommunicative state, I'd hope that they had all relevant history
> before taking any action.

Let me put this another way.  If you have all your medical records
online what's to stop your insurance company or a potential employer
or the police accessing your medical records.

Knowing something about computers I'd also ask what if they got the
wrong records.  One thing about a technical means of controlling
access is that it also makes it more likely they have the right
records.  An open slather system makes it much more likely that
mistakes are made.

Kim

--
Kim Holburn