[LINK] Fwd: MR30/2010: Re-register now to avoid telemarketing calls [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Mar 11 17:10:41 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Mar/11, at 7:05 AM, David Lochrin wrote:

>> Ummm, so you could change your registration then.  A lot less work
>> for them really.  Who's benefit is this all for anyway?  The only
>> reason to force three year registrations is to let telemarketers
>> have another crack at the numbers of those who forget to reregister.
>
> Telephone numbers are re-allocated when given up for whatever reason
> and, who knows, a registered number might be given to someone who
> just l-o-v-e-s marketing calls.

Yes well they could always unregister couldn't they?  It's not
supposed to be any harder.  None of this seems like a real reason to
force everyone to reregister.  A huge amount of work for everyone on
the list and the list maintainers, hundreds of thousands of
registrations as opposed to say: one or two of deregistrations?

> I wouldn't be surprised if it were part of some compromise with
> telemarketers.

Yeah, there you go.

--
Kim Holburn