[LINK] Fwd: MR30/2010: Re-register now to avoid telemarketing calls [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Thu Mar 11 07:05:25 AEDT 2010

On Thursday 11 March 2010 16:08, Kim Holburn wrote:
>>> Because people move home occasionally, or change numbers.
>
> Ummm, so you could change your registration then.  A lot less work
> for them really.  Who's benefit is this all for anyway?  The only
> reason to force three year registrations is to let telemarketers
> have another crack at the numbers of those who forget to reregister.

Telephone numbers are re-allocated when given up for whatever reason and, who knows, a registered number might be given to someone who just l-o-v-e-s marketing calls.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were part of some compromise with telemarketers.

Personally, I've found a firm "I'm sorry, but I don't take marketing calls" quite effective in reducing them to almost zero.  But one has to be ruthless in refusing every caller, including the worthwhile charities.

David