[LINK] Fwd: MR30/2010: Re-register now to avoid telemarketing calls [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Mar 11 18:41:21 AEDT 2010

On 11/03/2010, at 6:32 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> At 17:23 +1100 11/3/10, Stilgherrian wrote:
>> Are people really so precious that they cope with occasionally
>> glancing at their phone and not answering if they don't recognise
>> the number? Or so desperate for contact that they can't just turn
>> the phone off if they're doing something else?
>> [ducks]
>
> And well you should, Stil.
>
> A lot of people accept calls from numbers that they don't recognise,
> assuming that they're from a community-member, and in good faith:
> 'Someone on the P&C / kids' football committee said you offered to
> help this weekend' / 'we've found a cat with your phone-number on its
> collar' ...

So, they should answer the phone. And politely say "Sorry, I'm not interested", whether that's about helping at the trading table or buying a product.

I stand by what I said. That a call is wrong if it's about "grubby commerce" is Victorian middle-class pretension. People are being precious.

Conversely, they don't *have* to answer the phone. They can listen to the voicemail later and call back, or not.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia