[LINK] ACS new? submission on ISP filtering

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Thu Mar 18 23:58:21 AEDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:43:44 +1100, Craige Hicks wrote:

> Oh dear...
>
> Not well proof-read!!
> Or perhaps ACS is quoting verbatim from the Internet Industry
> Association paper. Either way, not a good look.

The ACS is mistaken about who they were quoting. The paper 'Untangling the
Net' is nothing to do with the Internet Industry Association. The authors
of the paper are Professor Catharine Lumby-UNSW, Professor Lelia Green-ECU
and Professor John Hartley-QUT.

>> From page 4:

[...]
>. a sight devoted to debating euthanasia in which some

The quoted paper says "site".

Jan Whitaker wrote:
>> Just saw this. It's undated, so I don't know how 'new' it is.
[...]
>> http://www.acs.org.au/attachments/ACSSUBMISSIONtoGovtRC.pdf

It's apparently a response to a government 'consultation' paper which had a
submission closing date of 12 Feb 2010:
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/funding_and_programs/cybersafety_plan/transparency_
measures

(Btw, the govt's proposed so-called 'transparency' measures make no
difference to the fact that they plan to require ISPs to 'block' access to
URLs on a secret blacklist).

Irene