[LINK] ACS new? submission on ISP filtering

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Mar 19 12:29:26 AEDT 2010

On 19/03/2010, at 11:38 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> I suspect that "triples the latency" is a serious
> over-estimate.  No, I don't have a simulator handy to experiment
> with, but presumably someone has).

Don't need an experiment, Roger, it's east to demonstrate. And I'm about to prove myself wrong by showing it's only double, not triple the latency.

For any content not hosted in the next room, the major cause of latency would be the travel time for the packets from client to server and back.

Asking for content with HTTP: Trip 1 HTTP GET request sent. Trip 2 Data returned.

Checking with HTTP HEAD first: Trip 1 HTTP HEAD request sent. Trip 2 Data returned. Trip 3 HTTP GET sent. Trip 4 Data returned.

Close enough?

Either way, the lag between requesting content an it starting to appear on screen is the biggest factor in users deciding to skip off the site. I don't see slowing this process down being much of an advantage.

Then again, why are we even discussing this? Isn't worrying about this what we have network engineer minions for?

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia