[LINK] ACS new? submission on ISP filtering

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Mar 19 13:02:18 AEDT 2010

At 12:29 +1100 19/3/10, Stilgherrian wrote:
>Don't need an experiment, Roger, it's east to demonstrate. And I'm
>about to prove myself wrong by showing it's only double, not triple
>the latency.
>
>For any content not hosted in the next room, the major cause of
>latency would be the travel time for the packets from client to
>server and back.
>
>Asking for content with HTTP: Trip 1 HTTP GET request sent. Trip 2
>Data returned.
>
>Checking with HTTP HEAD first: Trip 1 HTTP HEAD request sent. Trip 2
>Data returned. Trip 3 HTTP GET sent. Trip 4 Data returned.
>
>Close enough?

I don't think so (*but* I'm an amateur, and haven't looked at any of
this stuff in any depth for years):

(1)  TCP-opening involves a bunch of packets before the data is sent
      (and afterwards, depending).  The apparent latency at the user's
      device is a function of the complete session traffic rather than
      just the content-flows.  (And the overheads are substantial)

(2)  A large file will involve scores or hundreds of packets travelling
      across the backbone, when they could have been fetched more
      locally.  I accept that I'm assuming that fetches from
      network-distant sources will be slower than from network-close
      nodes

Hence my preference for someone to offer me a gratis simulator  (:-)}

>Either way, the lag between requesting content an it starting to
>appear on screen is the biggest factor in users deciding to skip off
>the site. I don't see slowing this process down being much of an
>advantage.

The rational (profit-maximising) ISP couldn't give a toss whether
their customers find some sites a pain.  In fact, ISPs would probably
prefer to (accidentally, of course) discourage their customers from
visiting sites that are painful to the ISP.

>Then again, why are we even discussing this? Isn't worrying about
>this what we have network engineer minions for?

<straight face>

Whether (and if so then how) intermediating devices perform actions
on traffic rather than just passing it on, is a vital policy matter.

A while back, I nattered on about deep packet inspection here:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/II/DPI08.html

</straight face>

Nice trick to try to get Glen back on the case, and others involved  (:-)}

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916