[LINK] RFI: Firefox 3.5/3.6

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Mar 26 10:57:47 AEDT 2010

Roger Clarke wrote on Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:27:22 +1100
>Call be paranoid by all means, but is anyone aware of an analysis of
>Firefox 3.5/3.6 from the viewpoint of consumer rights and privacy? ...

Here's a quick summary of some off-list advice:

1.  Geolocation

In Firefox 3.6, Geolocation apparently:
-   defaults to 'Ask'
-   can be set to 'Never Allow' or somesuch, but I haven't seen how
     you do it in the documentation, and you may have to ask other users
     http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

2.  Other Google-Related Features

There are many - many of which appear to embody serious privacy threats.

(There are some good ones of course - Google does some neat things.
The malware report/safe browsing feature may be one to leave switched
on).

In general (maybe in all cases?), the features have an 'Off' switch.

*But* they cannot be accessed in the Preferences display!  Instead
they require a fair bit of  knowledge of what's under the bonnet.
Use about:config in the url bar.  Some info at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries.

Call me a serious sceptic if you will, but that looks like an active
effort on the part of the designers to advantage marketers over
consumers, by ensuring that only a very small proportion of Firefox
3.6 users block Google-related functions.

3.  Cross-Site Scripting

Firefox 3.6 is, as I'd speculated, highly marketer-friendly and
consumer-unfriendly in relation to 'cross-site scripting' (which
refers to the practice of sites that you visit inviting lots of
'strategic partners' to invade your browser).

I gather that users have to (a) understand what's going on, (b) find
out about multiple plug-ins/'embeddeds', (c) take a risk on
installing them, and (d) maybe even then configure them.

Important instances of this category of antidote for Firefox's
nastier features are as follows:
-   Noscript
-   RefControl
-   JSView

See also AdBlockPlus:  http://adblockplus.org/en/

4.  Where to find a Consumer-Friendly Browser?

For those of us who decline to use Firefox after 3.0.x, will
SeaMonkey be any more consumer-friendly?
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916