[LINK] Conroy vs Google

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 30 15:48:31 AEDT 2010

At 3:14 PM +1100 30/3/10, Stilgherrian wrote:
>On 30/03/2010, at 3:00 PM, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>>  To Conroy internet filtering has become a 'cause' ... despite the
>>  best advice anyone has been able to give him.
>
>But is it necessarily Conroy's cause, or that he's doing his job as
>Minister to implement government policy? Where does the pressure
>come from, eh? :)
>
>I am not at all convinced that the policy is Conroy's per se, or if
>it is, that it was his idea as opposed to someone else's idea agreed
>to in exchange for something else.

Oh it's political alright ... I mean the government worked like hell
to get the right wing Christian vote in the last election - but
Conroy's style of politics is far from pragmatic.

This is the guy who's the chief head-kicker of the Right in the
Victorian Labour Party. This is the guy who has been involved in all
mannee of nefarious politics in Victoria. This is a guy who has a
name for taking no prisoners.

Problem is that he won't back down. I don't think he constitutionally
capable of backing down.

Not in the face of reason. Not in the face of democracy and
pluralism. Not in the face of the common weal. Not in the face of
toddlers being fed into meat grinders. (Hell, there are some who
think he's actually do the grinding, if there was something in it for
him.)

This is a bloke who is only border-line rational. This is someone who
was weaned on politics and other questionable pursuits from an early
age. He has known nothing else.

So yeah ... I blame Conroy for how this has developed.

					Regards,