[LINK] Conroy vs Google

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Tue Mar 30 20:26:03 AEDT 2010

On 30/03/2010 3:14 PM, Stilgherrian wrote:
> On 30/03/2010, at 3:00 PM, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>> To Conroy internet filtering has become a 'cause' ... despite the
>> best advice anyone has been able to give him.
>
> But is it necessarily Conroy's cause, or that he's doing his job as
> Minister to implement government policy? Where does the pressure come
> from, eh? :)
>
> I am not at all convinced that the policy is Conroy's per se, or if it
> is, that it was his idea as opposed to someone else's idea agreed to
> in exchange for something else.

Where the filter is concerned, I reckon Conroy is channelling Kevin
Rudd. For me, the PM's abnormal reaction to the Bill Henson images
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts/rudd-revolted/2008/05/23/1211183044543.html>
exemplifies the problem. He was reported to have characterised as
"revolting" images which the Classification Board's PG rating indicates
would not normally offend.

--
David Boxall                    |  In a hierarchical organization,
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  the greater the confusion.