[LINK] Fwd: 687 ISPs invited to secret filter forum

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon May 3 16:36:38 AEST 2010

>http://www.zdnet.com.au/687-isps-invited-to-secret-filter-forum-339302801.htm

687 ISPs invited to secret filter forum

By <mailto:edit at zdnet.com.au>Ben Grubb, ZDNet.com.au on April 30th,
2010 (3 days ago)

in brief Communications Minister Stephen Conroy's office has said
that 687 internet service providers (ISPs) were invited to
participate in the
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/filter-legislation-not-drafted-govt-forum-339302774.htm>protected
online forum to discuss issues around the planned mandatory filter to
block "refused classification" material on the internet.

"All of the ISPs registered with the Telecommunications Industry
Ombudsman (TIO) were written to and invited to register for the
online forum," said a statement to ZDNet Australia from the
minister's office. "Membership of the TIO is a current legal requirement."

The statement said a total of 687 letters were sent, "although some
ISPs would have received more than one written invitation if they
operated under multiple business names".

Conroy's office yesterday
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/conroy-confirms-filter-forum-exists-339302783.htm>acknowledged
the existence of the protected online forum used to discuss
controversial issues about the internet filter, but rejected forum
suggestions from departmental officials that the government could
make it an offence to promote methods of circumventing the filter.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com