[LINK] National Broadband Network - except it's not national.

Gordon Keith gordonkeith at acslink.net.au
Wed May 12 12:53:15 AEST 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:21:28 am Tom Worthington wrote:
> Homes will need a powered fibre optic modem for the NBN. Rather than
> have the householder plug a WiFi device into that, I suggest there might
> as well be an NBN Co managed wireless device built into each modem,
> similar to shared WiFi services:
> <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/11/wifi-share-service-to-supplement-nbn.h
>tml>.
>
> Assuming 30% of homes have an NBN fibre connection and wireless cell,
> that should be enough to provide wireless access for the remaining 70%
> of homes in a suburb. As well as entertainment devices in the homes and
> street outside, this could be used for smart electricity meters:
> <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/10/smart-electricity-meters-may-displace.
>html>.

And who pays for the power to the FO modem?

If I'm paying for power to the modem at my house then it gets switched off
when I don't want to use it. I don't like to waste power.

Has anyone calculated the power requirements of the NBN for device not in use?

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and have
talked with the best people, and I can assure you that
data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."
- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice-Hall, 1957