[LINK] Senate committee probes AGD's data retention activities

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Mon Nov 1 19:37:22 AEDT 2010

Kim Holburn wrote:

> If the filter is mandated, then ISPs will have to put in a proxy/application gateway for http and some ISPs already have them.  With a proxy they will have access to the http headers.

Forests and trees, Kim. If data retention legislation is passed,
proxies and filters are irrelevant.

*ALL* data communications as defined by the new act will have to
be intercepted, analysed and logged by all carriers.

And just what that analysis is and how deep into the packets it
travels is one huge mother of a big kettle of fishy stuff.

You certainly make a valid point about encrypted communications
and MITM to exploit. If this became public knowledge, i.e. breaking into
encrypted streams/packets is part of normal logging operations to satisfy
the requirements of the data retention act, you can say goodbye to confidence
in e-commerence, online banking and anything to do with consumerism in cyberspace
in Australia. Only a well oiled gestapo policing system could keep such an
intrusion quiet and out of earshot of the press.

BTW: you can also say goodbye to network throughput ;)

cheers
rickw

(( not wishing to terminate the thread due to Godinw's law! ))

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I haven't tried before.
      -- Mae West