[LINK] Battery back-up mandatory for NBN?

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Thu Nov 4 20:19:05 AEDT 2010

On 27/10/2010 11:48 AM, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net wrote:
> Ideally, the standard would be to provide a suitable back-up battery
> at install, so that the baseline is established for a resilient,
> emergency tolerant communications system that can be supplemented by
> mobiles/other things.
>
> I understand the ONT has a light to indicate when the battery needs to
> be replaced, and it appears to be little harder than replacing the
> battery in a radio, based on the NBN Tasmania diagram. We can be sure
> if no battery is installed the number of users who end up putting one
> in will be tiny.
Dare I suggest cost/benefit analysis?

Where there's an alternative (mobiles) what's the benefit?
Even where some are exported (eg. processing used batteries in the third
world - with associated health and environmental impacts), what are the
costs?

--
David Boxall                    |  My figures are just as good
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  I make them up myself, and they